BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Mom

Recently a few friends of mine were complaining about ways they were turning into their mothers. Mainly just funny things their moms did when they were kids that they swore they would never do when they became a parent. I listened quietly, nodding and politely smiling, when suddenly the conversation turned to me and I was asked if I was like my Mom.

I couldn't lie, so I answered the only way my heart knew how....."I really hope so" I said.

They seemed a little surprised by my answer...but that's because they've never met my Mom.

I don’t think there has been a word invented to describe my mom. The obvious come to mind-selfless, giving, thoughtful, helpful, wise, discerning, beautiful, kind, generous, fun, loving, etc. But none of these words do her justice.

Trying to describe my mom is like trying to describe love. So great and wonderful but you just can't put it into words.

How do you describe someone who is constantly thinking of ways to better the lives of her loved ones? Or someone who knows help is needed before it's even asked? Or someone who will put the needs of others before herself and never complain once? Or someone who seeks God every single day of her life and when that life around her becomes a storm, she stays calm and steady, hopeful and faithful?

No, there are no words to describe my mom to someone who hasn't been fortunate enough to meet her. But I have a feeling if they saw the genuineness of her smile and the kindness in her eyes; they wouldn't question my answer one bit.

I love you Mom!


4 comments:

Barbara said...

So true Mary, so true!

Your mom is so great I had to go to counseling years ago because I wanted to be like her instead of me...but God created us very different from each other. I'm not putting myself down just acknowledging that everything you said about your mom is so true!

Abby said...

You are absolutely right. I love all of the words you've used to describe your mom. She is so much more than that too. We are all lucky to have her in our lives!

Mel said...

Sweet post Mary and very true! Your Mom is a wonderful woman!

Me Addison And Our Boys said...

You're right! I would love to be like her too! :) And that is a great picture of both of you.